My son’s allergies forced me to start reading ingredients - something I had never really done before! Although it was difficult at first, I know that we eat healthier because I am so aware of what goes into our meals. The basic recipe is mostly allergen friendly and my family loves it. These are great to take to playdates or just to snack on at home. If you have an egg allergy, you can replace the egg with a banana or egg replacer. My kids love them with chocolate chips but we have made them with apple pie spice, gingerbread spice and cinnamon.
I highly recommend using a Silicone baking mat to prevent the bars from sticking to your pan; oh and making a double batch!
Allergen Friendly Homemade Granola Bars
2 ½ cups rolled oats (GF if needed)
½ cup brown sugar, lightly packed
1 cup GF flour mix or whole wheat flour
½ cup honey
½ cup applesauce
2 tsp GF vanilla extract
- 1 tsp cinnamon or apple pie spice & ¾ cup raisins
- ¾ cup of chocolate chips, coconut or chopped nuts
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Place Silicone baking mat in baking sheet or generously grease 9x13 baking pan.
2. Mix oats, brown sugar & flour in a large bowl. Add in any “extras” that you would like. Make a well in the dry ingredients and set aside.
3. In a separate bowl, mix together honey, egg, applesauce and vanilla extract.
4. Add wet to dry and mix well.
5. Bake 25-30 minutes or until starting to brown on the edges.
6. Remove from oven and cool for a few minutes; “cut” into granola bar shape while still warm (it’s much easier when they are warm)