My friend came over last night for supper, and she brought a slow cooked ham with her. Scalloped potatoes always go well with ham, but I have never made them before. I thought I would try it out and they turned out really well so I thought I would share. This recipe makes 6 side dishes. Enjoy!
- 1.5 Lbs (approx 4 medium) russet potatoes, peeled and sliced paper thin (I use a potato peeler)
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 3 ounces Gruyere cheese, grated (if you don't have any, use another white cheese like mozza)
- 2 green onions
- Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees with a rack set in the lower third of oven. Combine sliced potatoes and milk in a large saucepan over high heat. Bring to a boil, and immediately reduce heat to low; cover and simmer until potatoes are just tender, about 3 minutes. Mix in chopped green onions.
- Rub a baking dish with butter. Arrange potatoes mixture in the baking dish; season with salt and pepper. Dot with remaining butter and pour over reserved cream. Sprinkle cheese over top.
- Transfer baking dish to oven and bake until cheese becomes deep golden brown and milk has reduced and thickened, 60-90 minutes. Remove from oven and serve immediately.
Nutritional Info (1/6 recipe)